Honestly, I'd meant to post this recipe a few days ago, but I got home, became wrapped up in getting unpacked, decorating the Christmas tree, catching up on work, et cetera. I'm sure you can relate; this time of year is always so busy. Luckily, that's where leftovers come to the rescue to spare you a few extra minutes in the kitchen or add a welcome dash of flavor in an unexpected way.
My family has made Bon Appetit's Cranberry Sauce with Port and Cinnamon the past couple of Thanksgivings when we've been together; and it has earned a permanent spot on our menu. It's absolutely delicious, and having some leftover port to sip after dinner doesn't hurt either. Inevitably we end up with leftovers, so I thought I'd post five easy ideas to use up cranberry sauce leftovers.
- Nutella & Cranberry Sandwich: It may sound a little out-there, but the jelly-like consistency works fantastically as a substitute for your favorite jam; and Nutella acts as a sweet foil to the tartness of the cranberries. To make it even better, grill it with a dab of butter until golden and crispy - then cut it in half on the diagonal.
- Cranberry Mayonnaise: This is a great addition to leftover turkey sandwiches. Just mix a tablespoon of cranberry sauce into about 1/4 cup of mayo. Or, if you happen to have leftover ham (my family makes both a turkey and a ham), mix a tablespoon of cranberry sauce with 1/4 to 1/3 c whole grain mustard for one of the best ham sandwiches you'll ever devour.
- Ice Cream Topping: Reheat 1/4 cup of your leftover sauce and add 2 T. water. Stir thoroughly to combine. While the sauce is still warm, spoon it over a scoop of vanilla or butter-pecan ice cream.
- Cranberry Thumbprint Cookies: Sweeten cranberry sauce with an extra sprinkle of sugar, and sub for jam in your favorite thumbprint cookie recipe. (Here's a simple, buttery recipe from Simply Recipes.)
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup to apple pie or cobbler for a wintry twist.
Hopefully these ideas provide you with some inspiration to use up your turkey day leftovers! I'm curious to know how you use up your leftovers from the big meal - if you've got a creative idea, leave me a comment!